In the summer of 2020, I quit my commercial job in finance so I could use my chops and experience to give marketing and fintech coffers to entrepreneurs erecting their small businesses. When it was time to make a totem and design the rest of my branding, I knew it was important that I make that passion really clear. So, I created a brand personality that was bold, enterprising and innovative — and Small Business Startup results were born.
Creating a brand personality can help indeed the lowest business stand out. To start, suppose about the most applaudable traits of your business What adjectives would you choose to describe it if it were a person? Throughout this composition, I ’ll use my business’s brand personality to represent the conception, plus detail how you can produce your own with stylish practices on conveying it to the world.
What is a brand personality, and why does it matter?
A brand personality is the instantiation of a business, acting as a frame for its brand identity. It’s how a company manifests its values and charge through its design language, communication style and conduct. By attributing mortal characteristics to your business, you can connect with your target request and separate your business from the competition.
How to create a brand personality
Use the following steps to develop your personality branding:
- Define your brand values
- Determine the dimension of your brand personality
- Identify your brand archetype
- Assemble a brand guide
01. Define your brand values
They are the beliefs and principles that guide its conduct and decision- timber.
For illustration, the brand values of Small Business Startup results( SBSS) are entrepreneurship, invention and social responsibility. Its brand edict is to “ Grow the Original Economy. ” I try to invest that charge into everything, from my marketing to my business operations.
02. Determine the dimensions of your brand personality
Since erecting a brand personality is a nuanced, complex process, it can help to first classify your business. Jennifer Aakers ’ five confines of brand personality offer a useful starting point. This model aligns brand personality traits with mortal characteristics that fit into one of five confines excitement, sincerity, capability, complication and ruggedness
03. Identify your brand archetype
The brand archetype system gets more specific. In this frame, a brand can fit into twelve main archetypes:
- The romanticist commits to its deeply- embedded values and beliefs.
- The Realist prioritizes sense and faculty. The Warrior orients towards pretensions.
- The Caregiver nurtures with compassion and altruism.
- The Seeker looks for new perspectives, and takes an individualistic trail- blazing approach. The nut focuses on erecting connections.
- The Revolutionary defies convention and looks for cutting- edge results to deeply hardwired problems.
- The Creator expresses and invents. The savant values reflection, and frequently takes an logical approach to verity dogging.
- The Jester leads with a unconcerned, sportful and robotic tone.
- The Magician intuits, inspires and provides sapience.
- The sovereign values power and demonstrates leadership.
04. Assemble a brand guide
A brand style guide—a catalog of a brand’s assets—ensures that all your marketing clearly, cohesively and consistently reflects your brand personality. The branding world refers to these as the three C’s:
- Clarity:A clear, well- defined brand strategy ensures that the target cult can understand all brand aspects and dispatches.
- Consistency: thickness insure that your brand voice and visual identity complement one another to support your brand personality. harmonious brand rudiments help your target request fete and trust you. To remain cohesive, stay within the brand companion.
- Credibility: A believable brand is secure, dependable and estimable. You must ensure that all your business conduct reflects your brand personality. Be transparent about your business practices and deliver on your marketing promises to increase your brand’s credibility.
Let’s use the brand companion for SBSS as a style companion illustration. It features my charge and values, as well as my totem, brand colors, typography and on- brand images that fit the personality. While the slate- gray, black and white give my imprinting an ultramodern and competent look, the unheroic emphasizes the “ Agitated ” aspect of my brand personality and symbolizes the bright light of invention. I use active imagery to demonstrate its “ Discover ” brand archetype. Whenever I use photography that doesn’t feature myself, I strive to feature different subjects so everyone knows that my brand is warm and drinking to all.